Who is your favorite Hamlet character?

Monday, January 26, 2009

Does Hamlet really love Ophelia?

Hamlet is such a jerk to Ophelia that I don’t think there’s any possible way he truly loves her. I know that in the play, when he really was mean to her it was because he knew that her father and his uncle were there watching, but then why didn’t he explain that and try to apologize afterward? Also, when you really love someone, I don’t think you could ever be that rude to them. I think that what Hamlet felt for Ophelia was just lust. Another thing that confuses me is when Ophelia lost her father and was planning on drowning herself, Hamlet wasn’t there with her, explaining why her father was dead and trying to work everything out, but yet he loved her? Even if Ophelia wasn’t going to forgive him, which I don’t blame her for, if he loved her he would’ve been there trying to stop her from killing herself.

2 comments:

  1. well this blog was very much thought out and it makes some sence. JH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you!! You did a really good job proving your point. :)

    ReplyDelete